Mystery Sweater

Pomatomus socks (on hold)

Clapotis

Hourglass sweater

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

The Fall, a compliation TB made for me

The Replacements, All Shook Down

Fiber Arts Blogger
Previous | Next

Thursday, May 04, 2006

K'zoo

For the mordibly curious or the obsessive stalkers, this weekend I will be here, the International Congress for Medieval Studies at Kalamazoo, Michigan.

It's the largest medieval conference anywhere, and it attracts scholars from all over the world. I will be rubbing elbows with a bunch of famous medievalists, but also my future advisors and fellow grad students from Tennessee and Mr Terry Jones. Mr. Jones has made a second career for himself as an independent scholar, although people with their degrees in medieval things are largely divided over whether his scholarship carries any real weight. He published a book last year claiming that Chaucer was murdered that got some attention, but I don't think it was taken too seriously.

At any rate, he'll be speaking there about the death of Richard II, and I'm trying to talk myself into caring enough about 'ol Richie 2 to go to the talk. There's probably another interesting Anglo-Saxon pannel happening at the same time, so odds are I won't make it. But I'll be at the same conference as he will, which is pretty darn neat.

There is a "dance" scheduled for Saturday night, which I think has the potential to be the best thing in the world. Over a hundred drunk medievalists, tottering around holding drinks, the good 'ol boys slapping each other on the backs and buying rounds of scotch, and hopefully some poor soul doing the Electric Slide. A female medievalist professor of mine said that the dance gets ridiculously hot, so I should wear a skirt. As short a skirt as I think I can wear without getting my ass grabbed.

Oh, this is going to be fun.

Comments on "K'zoo"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Have a great time!

Have you seen any of the BBC series "Terry Jones's Medieval Lives"? I only caught one episode and thought it was very interesting, but I'd really like to know what Profeshnal opinion is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Terry Jones seems to be a true amateur, in the original, best meaning of the word. Of course, "real" scholars would be disdainful, but it doesn't mean he can't make some significant contributions.

Have lots of fun, get copies of anything that looks interesting, and try to avoid any ass-grabbing old goats (especially if they're affiliated with UT!)

yo mama

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (12:11 PM) : 

missprism, I have seen some of "Medieval Lives," and I loved it. Of course, I'm a lowly grad student, so what do I know? But generally I think anything that is a) acccurate (which to the best of my knowledge his show was) and b) funny/entertaining is fantastic. Anything that gets people interested in medieval stuff is ok in my book (and I mean the actual reality of the middle ages -- to counter-balance all people who are quite content to argue that King Arthur was real and everyone had naked bonfire dances at Stonehenge).


And yes, mom, I've set aside some money for the book sales :)

 

post a comment