Mystery Sweater

Pomatomus socks (on hold)

Clapotis

Hourglass sweater

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

The Fall, a compliation TB made for me

The Replacements, All Shook Down

Fiber Arts Blogger
Previous | Next

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Them's fightin' words.

I wasn't going to post about the progress on my Orangina. It's minimal, and I keep having to rip the damn thing apart and start over.

Here's a picture of the test swatch I did last week:


Lovely, neat, and trim. It's a shame the actual garment isn't coming out that way. I keep trying to knit while watching the news (because otherwise it feels like I'm procrastinating or wasting precious writing time, and doing two things at once somehow means it's time well spent) and because I'm distracted I'm losing stitches constantly. Sometimes I can go back and pick them up. Most of the time I'm about 10 rows in and I end up frogging the whole thing.

I was considering just not making the sweater (shirt? vest? what the hell is this thing anyway?). It's taking too long, I'm not making any progress, and I'd much rather knit something therapeutic and soothing right now. Then The Boyfriend walked into the room and asked how it was going. I told him I'd ripped it out again and showed him the re-wound ball of yarn with needles stuck through it, skull and crossbones style.

"Maybe this pattern is too hard for you," he said.

I'm finishing the Orangina.

Comments on "Them's fightin' words."

 

Blogger Jenna said ... (6:06 AM) : 

Hahahaha! Nothing like a good challenge :) Anyway, more involved stitch patterns are ok to do in front of the TV, but only once you have a good hold on them - understanding how the rows line up, knowing instinctively where that double decrease goes, etc. Otherwise you find yourself stopping every few repeats wondering where you are. I have complete faith that you can do it!

 

Blogger eclectech said ... (8:00 PM) : 

Hehehe! And it'll be lovely, I'm sure.

Being an non-knitter you've just introduced me to a new use of the word 'frog'. I had to Google to find out if it had a particular meaning or if it was your own creation. I do like "frogging the whole thing" as an expression.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (11:11 PM) : 

Thanks jenna :) I've been doing lace socks for years, so I thought this pattern would be a breeze. Hm, but maybe I should cast on some socks for news-watching-knitting...

And yes, frogging. I hadn't heard this word either until someone bought me Stitch 'n Bitch.

 

post a comment