Mystery Sweater

Pomatomus socks (on hold)

Clapotis

Hourglass sweater

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

The Fall, a compliation TB made for me

The Replacements, All Shook Down

Fiber Arts Blogger
Previous | Next

Friday, April 14, 2006

Bits and bobs.

Progress on the 'Tis. I'm just trying it on so you can see how it drapes, Mom. There is no yarn envy motivating this picture.


I've been looking at patterns for knitted t-shirts and camisoles lately, which is very odd. I've never really been sold on the idea of sexy/flirty/trendy/whatever-the-kids-are-wearing-these-days knit tops. I mean, it's made of yarn. Maybe I'm just not good enough to make these things look professional, but I think it has more to do with the fact that I never see any stores carrying, or anyone wearing, obviously yarny summer tops. It just seems, I dunno, weird. Knitting is for sweaters, socks, scarves, hats, blankets, and pillowcases; not for kicky summer tops.

But lately I've had a change of heart. I like the Picovoli, the Orangina(even though I've been left in the dust by the SKC KAL), and the Calla. I've never considered making something like this before, but I'm very tempted by a project that would be quick, instantly wearable, and for me. And something I could wear after The Move.

Trying to envision and solidify things that will happen after The Move helps me be less nervous about the event itself. Everything will be ok, because I will have this shirt. (I get the same way about teaching clothes -- "My class will go fine and students will respect me if I'm wearing these shoes.")

I'm also itching to make the Jamesey for my broad-shouldered brother. I've never knit with cotton before -- could I possibly end up doing two projects with it at the same time? Madness!

Comments on "Bits and bobs."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 PM) : 

Y'know, any suggestion that the 'Tis has been "lost in the mail" is going to be met with a great degree of skepticism...

Cotton is fine to knit, but it's a very different experience compared to wool blends. In my experience, it tends to sag, at least if it's 100% cotton. I'm anxious to see what you come up with.

 

Blogger Christabel said ... (9:48 AM) : 

Yeah, cotton takes a bit of getting used to. I am also a recent convert to the knit cami school, & am curious to see what you decide on!

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (3:12 PM) : 

I just tried to order the pattern for orangina, but I couldn't get it to download.

And after I spent all evening looking for yarn online, too. Gah!

(I was so sold on the Rowan cotton 4-ply)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 AM) : 

The Orangina looks very nice. The Picovoli looks more like a lot of work for a fairly boring t-shirt.

Plus: you are thin as a bird, woman.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (11:34 AM) : 

I've very strangely proportioned. I've got a tiny waist but increasingly squishy rear end and thighs. I look like Jessica Rabbit from the waist down and Olive Oyl from the waist up (which isn't a good thing no matter how you spin it).

P.S. Stephanie sent me the Orangina pattern. Yarn store ahoy!

 

post a comment