In which the blogger refrains from making a Fight Club reference.
| First off, I want to apologize. I broke two of my previously unarticulated, but nonetheless important, Rules of Blog. 1st Rule of Blog: Do not whine. You may explain yourself, and you may complain about a situation that is unjust, but you must not whine. Ever. This is what separates you from the hordes of 13 year old emo/goth kids with live/deadjournals. Not that they don't contribute to the web in their own valuable way. 2nd Rule of Blog: Do not post anything that you would not want to be ridiculed for. In other words, nothing too serious. You run the risk of pouring your heart out to the vast internet and looking like a sap or an emotional spacko. I broke both of these rules in my last two posts. I whined shamelessly about my academic situation -- a situation which, I'll readily admit, I'm very lucky to have in the first place. And then I sentimentally prattled on about ballet. This doesn't seem that bad, but I know that somewhere out there, a witty guy with a PBR and a Black Flag poster is making fun of my continuing attachment to those damn shoes. And while I wouldn't care about ridicule for knitting, school, teaching rants, etc; I still am attached to ballet. And the emotional involvement makes the fun-poking harder to take. ---------------------------------- Tonight, I finally took myself to Wholly Craft. It's a very small store, but absolutely crammed with handmade clothes, bags, stationery, etc. The things they sell are gorgeous, if a bit out of my price range. I just can't plunk down $35 for a silkscreened t-shirt, no matter how much I like the kissing birds on the front. I went in looking for cheap fabric, yarn, or needles; and I came away with some buttons and a ball of claret lambswool. Not a large selection of knitting supplies -- or any supplies, for that matter -- but it has a great atmosphere. The kind that's way too cool for me, so I bought my measly ball of yarn and got out of there. But not without having the following embarrassing conversation with the hip girl sewing something by the cash register. Me: Where do you get your yarn supplies? Her: Mostly thrift stores. And Florida. I go to Florida a lot. Me: Oh, I'll bet they don't need much yarn in Florida. Her: Me: Or sweaters, really. Her: Me: Because it's so warm... I just should not be allowed to associate with people who are clearly cooler than I am. |











Comments on "In which the blogger refrains from making a Fight Club reference."
post a comment