Mystery Sweater

Pomatomus socks (on hold)

Clapotis

Hourglass sweater

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

The Fall, a compliation TB made for me

The Replacements, All Shook Down

Fiber Arts Blogger
Previous | Next

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

An open letter to English 110 students #2

Hi everyone,

I know I've been kind of spacey lately, and I'm really sorry about that. I haven't been sleeping much, and this whole exam thing is really demanding, I've not been eating well, and the cat has started climbing into bed with us early in the morning, and well, I'm about two cat scratches away from pulling a Margery Kempe.* This is affecting my performance in class, and I can tell that you guys are getting a little antsy and impatient with me. I can only promise you that once the exam is over and I start getting more than three hours of sleep a night, things will improve.

Oh, and I'm really sorry about all the bad jokes I've told in class. No one else thinks my puns are funny. On some level, I do accept this.**

But until my sleeping patterns return to normal, I have a few suggestions to help us both get through the next two weeks.

1) Read your papers before you turn them in. I know that you know the difference between "women" and "woman," and the importance of using apostrophes with your possessive nouns; but if you can enact this knowledge in your papers it would really help me out. The same goes for spelling authors' names and story titles correctly.

2) Please do not email me at 11 pm the night before a draft is due, attach pages of your writing, and ask me if I can "look at it." Or, worse yet, inform me that I need to "tell you if it's ok." It is not ok. Writing is an ongoing process that is artificially truncated by the demands and deadlines of the academic calendar. Now go check your possessive nouns one more time.

3) When I ask a question in class, it would really help me out if you could answer it. I want you to try especially hard to come up with a response if I say helpful things like: "This is in your books on page 17." Or even: "This is a yes or no question, guys." I'll take anything at this point, even grunts, clicks, and whistles. But I have fallen in love with the whir of the overhead projector, so if you find it hard to respond right away, I can go into a trance-like state for a while.

4) Please, please, please understand that I want you to do well. I want you to learn something, and I would be especially happy if you ended up liking writing just a tiny bit. That said, it takes me 30-45 minutes to read and respond to one paper. Despite my desire to see each and every one of you succeed and find personal fulfillment in my class, I can't read multiple drafts. Stop emailing me second and third drafts. Please. I was raised Catholic and the guilt from not reading them may very well kill me.

There. Please read these suggestions and take them to heart. There will be a quiz tomorrow.

Warmest regards,
Your Teacher




*Running around Europe and crying hysterically.
**But I stand by my assertion that Alice Uberdeutschland is a hysterically funny name.

Comments on "An open letter to English 110 students #2"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:30 PM) : 

Someone's been listening to too much PDQ Bach. Combine that with the stuff you read for a living, a liberal dash of Monty Python, and I don't want to know what your nightmares are like.

Nice letter to your students, though. I wish you could actually send it to them.
-yo mama

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (8:39 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (8:44 PM) : 

I had a dream the other night that you and I were in a warehouse full of Chinese furniture and pottery, trying to hide from a mosquito that was hell bent on killing us. It was poisonous or something.

Note: running away from something that is really tiny and can fly is very, very hard.

 

Blogger Alice said ... (4:45 AM) : 

my favourite exam paper this year told me that metaphors were invented in 1930

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (8:34 AM) : 

A friend of mine just got one claiming that King Arthur was a Fascist (because, you know, they had invented the concept of fascism back then) and all of his knights were homosexual.

She's a medievalist, so she found this incredibly funny. The student got a D though.

 

post a comment