Mystery Sweater

Pomatomus socks (on hold)

Clapotis

Hourglass sweater

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

The Fall, a compliation TB made for me

The Replacements, All Shook Down

Fiber Arts Blogger
Previous | Next

Monday, May 29, 2006

FOrangina



I love it.
I had my doubts about the finished product, because I've seen some other long-torso'd ladies complain about the length and the look in general. But I'm delighted to find that it doesn't make me look stumpy or misproportioned, and in fact it looks rather elegant.

The yarn is Cotton Soft Speciale Baby by Mondial in Black, and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone else doing the same project. It's incredibly splitty and the black color is actually very soft and faded. In other words, it looks old and worn right off the needles, which might be great for some garments, but I wanted this one to look sharp and snazzy (which it still does, if I only wear it in dimly lighted rooms and insist everyone stay at least three feet away from me).

My only alterations to the pattern were to make it an inch longer than the small size should be, and to switch to size 2 circulars for the ribbing. All in all, a success.

I've started the Rosalind, and I think there's a mistake in the written out chart. I haven't had time to sit down and figure out whether it's really the pattern or just me being spacey, but I'll report back after I've had a few free minutes to do some square-counting.


Today is Memorial Day, which is the unofficial beginning of summer here in the States. The weather is hot (90 degrees today), people are barbecuing, the cat is lolling on the linoleum* and I've got a pitcher of iced tea to get me through the day of translating Old English poetry. For now (I retain the right to retract this statement at any time) I love summer.

*Does anyone else remember the Bert and Ernie song from Sesame Street about all the pretty words that start with the letter L? Bert thinks up a really good word starting with L and proudly sings out: "La, la, laaaaa! LIN-O-LEUM!"
Ernie is less than impressed.
If you don't remember it, youtube has it here

Comments on "FOrangina"

 

Blogger Knittypants said ... (5:24 PM) : 

I really like your Orangina, looks great on you.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (7:22 PM) : 

Thanks!

 

Blogger Alice said ... (8:14 PM) : 

the orangina looks great,

if the pattern notes for the written out chart aren't working try to work from the chart. I was anti-charts for ages (like up until a few months ago) but won't bother with anything else now

let me know if you do find that pattern and I'll amend it on my blog and tell the girl who sent them to me too

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (10:18 PM) : 

I think she forgot to count some stitches at the end of the CC WS rows. I'll definitely let you know if anything's off.

 

Blogger Sula said ... (10:25 PM) : 

Hi Sarah!

Just saw your great orangina on SKC. I laughed at your comments, thinking how funny it was that you could be writing about me & reasons why I've been avoiding this knit too- thanks for the inspiration!

Funny thing is, I hopped on over to your blog only to discover that we live in the same town, and if you're studying medieval Greek we must go to the same school-with 50,000+ of our closest friends, I know. I should stop being surprised at this coincidence.

I don't have a knitting blog but if you ever want to meet for coffee or anything, that would be fun. Wait, that must be the scholar side of me talking. If you ever want to go buy yarn, now that would be fun! I'm a wannabe medievalist myself, though I didn't make it to the MI conference.

Glad I got to meet you online.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (9:22 PM) : 

Hi Sula,
Nice to know there's another knitter in Columbus who reads this!

 

post a comment