Mystery Sweater

Pomatomus socks (on hold)

Clapotis

Hourglass sweater

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

The Fall, a compliation TB made for me

The Replacements, All Shook Down

Fiber Arts Blogger
Previous | Next

Thursday, January 04, 2007

24 = 2007



One of the odd things about having a birthday so near New Year's is the tendency to get very introspective and sentimental around the holidays. I bury a calendar year and a year of my life at the same time, which makes it very easy to lapse into a re-examination of my life, dreams, and goals.

2006 and 23 were rough years for me, personally and professionally, and as a result I've decided that 2007 and 24 are going to be much better. I'm making big changes, but starting with small ones (like no more blueberry pie for breakfast and trying to go to bed before 1 AM every night).



The bigger changes are the frightening ones, but I can't imagine not making them. I've made lists upon lists of reasons, pros and cons, benefits and possible downfalls, and talked to many, many people. (This is the first time I've asked for friends' and family's help dealing with decisions, and I'm shocked to discover that it makes things much easier.) Change is inevitable and I'm controlling the next big one.

I'm leaving grad school. I'm not sure yet whether I'm taking time off or leaving for longer and making a more permanent break -- but I'm tired. I'm unhappy, sick, guilt-ridden, anxious, not sleeping, intensely disliking myself and my work, eating poorly, missing my family and friends, feeling disconnected and lost, and I miss reading just for the pleasure of the words; but mostly I'm just tired.

This is a hard decision to make, and it will be even harder to carry out because I'm still in love with the idea of academia and scholarship and still terrified about living a life as anything other than a scholar and teacher. But I hope that by telling you, the fact that I've decided will suddenly become real and easier to accept. It's true! I am going to be happier next year -- the internet says so.

Happy New Year, everyone. May all of yours be improvements over 2006, no matter how fantastic last year was.



P.S. I rewrote this many times trying to make it sound jubilant and triumphant. I am jubilant and triumphant but also scared, nervous about doing the right thing, sad, and apprehensive. Apparently the apprehension wants to come out more than the relief and glee. But know that there are good doses of glee, relief, and optimism in the decision, too.

Knitting content resumes with the next post.

Comments on "24 = 2007"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

Fingers crossed that it all works out well. If you're not happy, then a break may be what you need, or even a complete change of direction. It's not irrevocable, after all - I dropped out from doing a doctorate and came back to research 30 years later. Good luck.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:28 PM) : 

Good for you! All the best in this new year for you!

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:26 PM) : 

This is a bold move towards more happiness. Carry with you the fact that you can lead many lives throughout your yeras. You are young and growing. You do not have to know what you want for the rest of your life yet. Knowing what you don't want now is a pretty good start.

Best of luck, truly.

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (10:17 PM) : 

First, happy b-day. And second, good for you. If you're not 100% sure about it, it's not worth the agony, the uncertain job market, the need to uproot your life if you do get a job, etc. etc. As others hae said, you can come back to it if it's still calling you later--but for now, congrats on knowing what you need.

But I do have to take issue with your resolution not to eat pie for breakfast. Pie is the best breakfast there is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 AM) : 

Dad had hair!
Mom was brunette!

Wait 'til the Inquirer gets ahold of that info...

And since I didn't decide what I was going to do until I was forty, I agree with all the comments above.
-Mum

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 AM) : 

firstly, I think my mum had the exact same glasses in the 80s. I never had a fair isle hat as cool as yours though!

congratulations for being so strong to decide that. and good luck. I know what you mean about student guilt, you just can never do enough reading, which spoils it. its one of the reasons I decided to stay in the UK for my PhD, because you have more autonomy, it can be easier. At least for me, some people prefer the structure of US grad school, it's horses for courses (and not hierarchically so, don't you dare let anyone let you think you "couldn't hack it", its different not better/ worse)

You should feel mighty proud of yourself.

plus happy birthday

 

Blogger Juno said ... (12:00 PM) : 

Making those kinds of decisions consciously is terribly brave. I wish you all happiness and luck and purpose with whatever comes next.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 PM) : 

I waited to respond because I wanted to say something that could even come close to meeting the significance of what you just experienced, but I am unable to find the appropriate words. Good for you for recognizing that being in school was worse for you than being out of school. Best of luck to you on this, your 24th year! We'll all be reading to see what you do next.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:58 AM) : 

What was it Joseph Campbell said:

Follow your bliss!

Dad

 

Blogger Kitty Jimjams said ... (5:29 PM) : 

Good Lord, that's a huge decision - and although we've never met I'm sure you wouldn't take it without excellent reasons.

So congratulations for being brave and independent. And I agree with your mum; at 24 there is no damn hurry AT ALL and you shouldn't be doing things that make you stressed and unhappy. GO YOU.

I vote we make 2007 a personally excellent year.

 

Blogger Kate A. said ... (4:59 PM) : 

Wow, I leave town and get behind on my bloglines, and look what I almost missed!

Just wanted to say - as long as you're in charge of your decisions and listening to your heart and mind (and loved ones), then you *are* on the right course, you know? Since we can't tell the future, I think that's the best anyone can do.

Not only is grad school hard and stressful and all those things...the system as also set up as a sort of frat-boy hazing ritual, and the cards are very much stacked against anyone who doesn't fit a mold that's actually been out of date (and actually recognized as undesirable!) for decades. The ivory tower is such a strange place, and very slow to change. Whatever it is, it's full of so many incredibly warped and inept people that getting through it is really much more of a crapshoot than anyone wants to admit. I could, like you, go on and on because I have the same debates with myself constantly, but I'll try to stop. Assuming I do finish - which still doesn't feel quite possible even just one chapter and one full revision from D-Day - it will be because I had the sheer luck to have two people, one a prof from another school and the other my husband, who suddenly made things infinitely easier just when I was on the verge of saying to-hell-with-it. And when/if I do finish, I'm really not at all sure it was worth it, and may just take a totally different direction. At this point I'm only finishing at all because it's so close.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

 

Blogger Hannah said ... (12:46 PM) : 

I've been away from the blogworld so much in the last two months that I am way behind reading my favorite blogs and keeping up with everybody's news.

Cara's post about brave changes hit me hard, as does this one. Good for you! Some of us stuck it out to the bitter end and still feel lost and uncertain how to quit when we need to quit.

The new year is always a good time to review your life--and you have such an added meaning to it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:23 AM) : 

Loved reading your blog. I love old photos so much - they're so romantic. Hope 2007 all goes well for you. It's the year I turn 24 as well and I have my fingers crossed it will be a good one.

Would love you to check out my blog.

http://www.housewifery.com/

Jodie

 

post a comment