Mystery Sweater

Pomatomus socks (on hold)

Clapotis

Hourglass sweater

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

The Fall, a compliation TB made for me

The Replacements, All Shook Down

Fiber Arts Blogger
Previous | Next

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

In which the blogger isn't panicking.



Is anyone else worried yet? I'm not. I'm pretty sure that I can get all of my Christmas projects done on time. I've only got three, so how hard can it be, right? I need to:

1)knit the neck and sleeves of the Jamesey

2) start and finish the Sea and Shells Stole for my grandmother (nb: unless I track down a copy of Victorian Lace Today soon and start any one of the several million projects in there that would be perfect.)

3) start and finish the Sharfik for my aunt.

I tell myself it's possible if I finish the Jamesey before I convalesce at my parents house. Once there, I can knit all damn day if I want to. So BRING IT ON, final papers and obligations. I can knit around you.



Progress on the Jamesey has been slow. In the past two weeks all that I've really done was done last night, when I took a break from reading students' papers to do the shoulder seams.



3 needle bind off? Coolest thing ever. So neat! So like a real sweater seam! So unlike the cast offs I usually do!

And tonight, I took a break from reading to reconnect with the blog world (Hi! I've missed you guys! Aside from that last, quick post I've largely been absent.) and to start putting up my Christmas decorations. This means finding somewhere to put the tiny Christmas tree TB and I bought last year and getting the box of decorations out of the closet.



Okay. Most of this stuff? Not mine. In fact, everything except for the green garland was sent by TB's mother last November. Some of it is great, like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ornament.



Other things are considerably less great. Like the pink and white plastic sparkly bells. What?



These will be returning to the closet where they can't hurt anyone and won't ruin Christmas.

Comments on "In which the blogger isn't panicking."

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (9:52 PM) : 

Aw. I kind of like the sparkly bells, in a retro-sparkly, Whooville kind of way!

 

Blogger knittingphilistine said ... (8:28 AM) : 

I heart Christmas trees with wacky 80s decorations...they're the best kind! My ornament selection includes such greats as a stuffed Snoopy and Woodstock set, a sparkly Ewok, and things that look frighteningly similar to your pink sparkly bells. I may have a Mutant Ninja or two as well. Your tree will be awesome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 PM) : 

3-needle cast-off is the neatest thing ever... It looks so professional, on the inside as well as the outside.

And if I have to hang those "baby's first Christmas" ornaments, and the little handmade ones, then you have to hang the Ninja turtle and the sparkly bells.

--Yer mum

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (8:07 PM) : 

Things is, the sparkly bells don't have hooks or loops on them. So I guess I'm supposed to just nestle them in the branchs?

And it's a very small tree so all of the ornaments won't fit anyway. Oh darn, no sparkly pink bells :)

 

Blogger Lone Knitter said ... (10:58 AM) : 

I have a dream of making my own ornaments, but it never seems to happen. I made a whole bunch when I was a teenager, but somehow I haven't been able to make any since. I love going to my parents' house for the holidays, because yes, it means I can knit knit knit.

 

Blogger Kate A. said ... (2:38 PM) : 

The trick with the 80s kitsch stuff is to cover the whole tree with it. OR, cover it only with red ornaments, say, from ninja turtles to hand-knitted mini-stocking made on toothpicks.

I say all this with such authority because I have no tree, nor ornaments. I'm sad to say even my mom got into a cleany mood one day a few years ago and threw out all the old ornaments with "character" (i.e., the hideous 80s ones, including a few she had herself decorated with sequins and beads), so I can't reclaim them now as I would like to (after complaining about how ugly they were throughout my entire childhood). Sigh.

 

post a comment