In which lace kicks my ass. Again.
| I finished a paper, so now only one more and a hell of a lot of grading stand between me and some serious egg nog. So I celebrated getting over the first hurdle by knitting. (Of course! I don't have to do those dishes or vacuum or do laundry. Pshaw.) I started the Sea and Shells Stole (a variant of Eunny's beautiful Print 'O the Wave stole.) It's intended for my grandmother, and it's a good thing she's such a fantastic, classy lady who definitely deserves a delicate, fawn colored wrap knit on white needles. I got this far before I somehow got off by four stitches, couldn't figure out where/how, and ripped it all out. ![]() It took me about two hours. Ok, I was watching a movie at the time, but two precious hours for seven measly rows? I could have finished my other Pomatomus in that time. So I did what I think most other people would do in this situation. I called the pattern a couple of names (I apologized later: "It's not you, it's me. I'm just no good with lace, baby. You know how I roll."), stuck the yarn in the bin, and started something else after dinner. ![]() A variation of Grumperina's Sharfik for my aunt. I love this yarn -- Karabella Aurora 8 feels like what I used to imagine clouds felt like. I'm not nuts about the color, as it's a bit pinker than what I wanted, but I think my aunt will still like it. Or at least, if she doesn't she'll be too polite to say anything and I can fool myself into thinking she really loved the scarf. And that's what Christmas is all about, right? P.S. I'm so sorry about all of the "in which..." titles lately. I just haven't been able to think of snappy names for my posts. I did figure out where I've seen this before though: Polka Dot Mittens! She uses them to much greater effect than I do and her stories are hilarious. Oh, and she's got a gay merman Santa Claus Christmas ornament on her front page right now. Awesome. |













Comments on "In which lace kicks my ass. Again."
-
Anonymous said ... (7:19 AM) :
-
Ashley said ... (8:41 AM) :
-
Lone Knitter said ... (9:24 AM) :
-
Sarah said ... (8:35 PM) :
-
Hannah said ... (2:26 PM) :
post a commentdefinitely step away from the troublesome lace, go back another time. (my blog posts rather often follow the structure of "On somethingsomething." I can't get out of the habit!)
I feel you on the lace. You may have noticed that I have finished exactly 0 lace projects ever. Because that is also how I roll.
Good luck with all the grading. Thankfully, I'm not teaching comp this term. I do have six credit students in my creative writing class, however, and some of them are going to be shocked when I turn in their grades today...good luck with the lace. Lace and I don't really get along...but it looks lovely!
I had a student not show up to turn in a final paper. Oops.
I'll tackle the lace again when my next paper's written and I can think clearly.
You can do the lace! You can do it! I'll be your cheerleader. Rah! Rah! Sis-boom-bah!