Um, oops?
| I woke up at 5:45 this morning, and promptly fell back asleep. I woke up at 6:15, jumped out of bed in a panic, and rushed through my shower, make-up, and clothes (I only changed my outfit twice because I thought I looked lumpy and flabby, rather than my usual average of 3 or 4 times). Thank goodness I stopped to check my email, and realized that the Winter quarter doesn't start until tomorrow. Bleh. A note on clothes: as someone on the younger side of 30, and a college instructor, it's hard to dress for the classroom. I need wear something that says "You will respect me as an academic superior even though I look young enough to play beer pong with you." Some of the other girls I teach with (I say girls, we're all in our mid-late twenties) sometimes stray into "I'm the sexy teacher!" territory, and I try to avoid that. This territory is a land of low-cut shirts, short skirts, high heels, and lacy things worn as outerwear. They always look cute, and never trashy; but well, it's not the kind of attention I want when I'm teaching. I've decided that knee-high boots with a skirt are more classy than sexy, although I still waver about this. I try not to wear jeans unless it's a day that I'm not teaching, like Group Presentation Day or a Movie Day (or, my personal favorite, Sit In My Office All Day and Meet Students for Individual Conferences Day). I don't wear high heels as a general rule, so no worries about strappy and inappropriate shoes there. I think the look I'm left with is Hipster-Librarian Medley, which seems to be working for now. Still, I'm usually a jeans-and-sweaters girl. So I'm constantly in search of new teachin' clothes, and it's damn hard to find nice/classy clothes that aren't a) expensive or b) teenage "office wear" (you know, the shortshort skirts and crop tops that have somehow become acceptable to market as professional). It's an uphill battle, dressing like a nerd. Sweater update: I've knit a strand of hair into the sweater (as you do). It is also, however, full of cat hair because I started it at my parents house, where Viggo sat on my lap while I was knitting. I worry that The Boyfriend will now develop a deep affection for the cat. |











Comments on "Um, oops?"
post a comment