Mystery Sweater

Pomatomus socks (on hold)

Clapotis

Hourglass sweater

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

The Fall, a compliation TB made for me

The Replacements, All Shook Down

Fiber Arts Blogger
Previous | Next

Thursday, December 15, 2005

It's the oil! He hates the oil cans!

Today I mailed my first application, to U of Wisconsin (Madison). Contrary to what The Boyfriend told me, I'm feeling not at all relieved about it. I can't stop thinking about all the things I didn't write in my writing sample, all the references I didn't include, and all the possible mistakes and that holes the applications committee can poke in my theory. The fact that it's out of my hands now is incredibly panic-inducing, rather than being a relief. Until now, I could always take more time to fix things and produce a paper that screams "THIS GIRL IS BRILLIANT." But there are no more changes now, and my life for the next four years is enclosed in this one little envelope (and its cousins who will go to other programs).

But the guy at the post office winked at me when he asked suggestively if we'd like to buy some colored bubble wrap, and that cheered me up a bit. Although I haven't been able to figure out exactly what we'd do with it that could possibly be in any way erotic. Surely the popping noise would ruin any chance of sexiness happening?

Also, I went to the optometrist today (something I haven't done in far too long) to get a check-up and some new glasses. The glasses will have to wait until tomorrow, unfortunately (I'm torn between the practical-yet-stylish glasses, and the clearly-a-librarian glasses). But I did get those drops that dilate your pupils for the first time, and I feel like kicking the doctor who gave them to me. I told her that I had some important writing to do today, and she assured me that they'd wear off in 3 hours. My appointment was at 12:30. It's 5:45 right now, and I still look like this:

If you look at the eye on the right, you'll notice that I have no iris.

So, it's been incredibly difficult to work on the writing sample and personal statement today. I keep having to weave my head toward and away from the computer screen as it swims in and out of focus.

If I were in a better mood I'd consider going outside and scaring some children.

Tomorrow: spectacled again!

Comments on "It's the oil! He hates the oil cans!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:03 PM) : 

You do have lovely eyes.

When I was your age, dialated pupils like that had several other meanings: Most them involving illegal substances.

As to mailing your application:

"Let it go, Marilyn"

Dad

 

post a comment