Curse of the Were-sock
Dudes, there is something wrong with this sock. More accurately, there is something wrong with my ability to knit this sock.![]() See those stitches there? Those stitches are supposed to be knit like this: Yo, k2tog, (p1, k1 tbl) five times, thus continuing the pattern. They're wrong. And I just can't force myself to think my way around this one. I've torn these things out so many times now that I don't have any fight left. You win, sock! For now. It's going in the stash/WIP bin until I want a challenge or a headache. After finding myself in this quandary with the sock, I started something else. ![]() Yes, it's my FOURTH Clapotis. But this one is special because it's mine. And after making three others and trying them on for size and yarn estimations, I've really come to love this wrap. But I want something else for myself. (What can I say? I'm a greedy knitter.) So on a trip to Barnes and Noble -- which was school-related, I promise -- I may have been influenced by the sock situation when I bought Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I'm going to make the hourglass sweater, and it will become what I've been referring to as my "dirty sailor" sweater (because it will be blue and grey stripes instead of blue and white -- not because I intend to act like a dirty sailor while wearing it). Now all I need to do is get the yarn. Hello, student loan. |



Comments on "Curse of the Were-sock"
-
Ashley said ... (10:11 PM) :
-
Anonymous said ... (10:19 PM) :
-
G said ... (2:18 AM) :
-
Anonymous said ... (7:04 AM) :
-
Sarah said ... (8:27 AM) :
-
Anonymous said ... (2:38 PM) :
-
Hannah said ... (5:31 PM) :
-
Sarah said ... (7:31 PM) :
post a commentIt's the right thing to do. Put it down, get some distance, come back to it when you feel like it.
Definitely step away. I found that there were times when the Pomatomus completley flummoxed me as well--usually related to forgetting to start the pattern "over" at the appropriate place. Did you remember to move the first stitch off? No need to look at it right now; it can certainly wait :)
What exactly is a Clapotis?
also, that jumper looks cool, I once tried to knit myself something and gave up about three days in, the end result something with dropped stiches all over the place!
The hourglass is one of my favorite sweaters -- I wear mine all the time. Have fun knitting it!
I've been mulling over starting the Pomatomous... maybe I'll wait.
I definitely moved the last stitches over to the previous needle, but I think I may have somehow done that part twice (I remember thinking "this doesn't seem right" about the shifting stitches).
A clapotis is one of these.
And please, jackie, don't let me scare you away from the Pomatomi. My ability to finish these things is no indication of yours. I'm particularly dense when it comes to this pattern, for some reason. And I should add that the first sock didn't give me these problems.
I know what you mean about buying non-academic books. My father gave me a very generous gift card to my neighborhood bookstore, and all I could think off were the knitting books I've been wanting...
You're using my favorite sock needle. And I absolutely love black Clapotis! (Was it here that I first saw one?)
The sock needles aren't actually that color -- they've been dyed black(er) by the yarn!
And yep. I made a black 'Tis a few months ago as a gift for an old friend.
http://spectacled.blogspot.com/2006/09/tis-three.html