I'm still here.
| Just working intently on some papers. And by "intently" I mean mostly banging my head on the keyboard and cursing at myself. I came across this in my reading and wanted to share. From Grettir's Saga (Fox and Pálsson, trans): "The men at Glaumbæ were very impressed to see you going hoodless in this bad weather," said Glaum. "they wondered whether you were any braver for being indifferent to the cold. There were two farmer's sons there, very strong men, and the shepherd asked them to come with him to the sheep, but they couldn't hardly put on enough clothes against the cold." Grettir said, "I noticed a young man in the doorway pulling on his mittens, and another one going from the cowshed to the dungheap, and neither of them would frighten me." There are two lessons here: 1) Real men do not need clothes to keep warm. 2) It is impossible to look intimidating when pulling on mittens. |











Comments on "I'm still here."
-
Ashley said ... (12:34 PM) :
-
Anonymous said ... (5:07 PM) :
-
Sarah said ... (5:56 PM) :
-
Anonymous said ... (7:40 AM) :
-
Sarah said ... (11:06 AM) :
-
Sarah said ... (11:11 AM) :
-
Ashley said ... (6:06 PM) :
-
Sarah said ... (10:39 AM) :
post a commentTee hee. The patriarchy (and its resistance to being sensible) has always been with us.
"They couldn't hardly put on enough clothes"?
So they were nice and warm, then.
That bothered me, too :)
Not enough to look up the Old Norse though.
Especially those mittens with the string that runs through the sleeves... :D
I'm assuming that these mittens would have been either woven and felted or fur-lined leather, right? I don't think knitting was widely practiced in Europe until 14th?
-Momma
You know, I'm not sure. I know that homespun yarn was used in dowries (a girl would be worth so many ells of her own homespun), but I don't know what it was used for.
I've come across mentions of tapestries in that saga -- so I know weaving and/or needlework was praticed, but I just don't know about the knitting.
There are, however, patterns for "Viking" hats and socks out there, and some gansey patterns are very old. But I can't be any more specific than that.
This has been your semi-educational knitting post for the day.
I should add that this is something I'm interested in, but is so far from my research areas that I've never had the time to really investigate it.
Just so none of you think I'm a hacky medievalist!
From one non-hacky non-medievalist to another: There is a pre-knitting Scandanavian thing called, I think, "nalbinding." If I'm remembering right it's a one-stick deal like crochet, but the end result is much stretchier.
Ooh, interesting.
Thanks, Ashley!