Mystery Sweater

Pomatomus socks (on hold)

Clapotis

Hourglass sweater

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

The Fall, a compliation TB made for me

The Replacements, All Shook Down

Fiber Arts Blogger
Previous | Next

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hockey socks

I finished my socks.


Lace Ankle Socks from Homespun Handknit

I’ve been referring to them as my Hockey Socks, since a good deal of the work on the second one was done while watching the last three games of the Stanley Cup. It took me ages because I kept screwing up whenever Edmonton scored, and they did that a lot. Well, until Game 7. I’m still upset.

They’re a bit loose around the ankles (the socks, not the Oilers – although I did wonder about their ankles during the first period of Monday’s game), but I’m not sure whether this is because I have freakishly narrow ankles and heels or whether it’s some fault in the pattern, yarn, my gauge, etc. Probably a bit of both.

I really like them, except for the ankle bagginess. Well, and I don’t like the toes. I’m not wild about the heels, either.

Ok, I guess I’m not nuts about the way these turned out and I really just like socks in general. I’m very fond of knitting socks. The way they keep my feet warm, the clever way the heel turns, the satisfaction of knowing the second sock tedium will not triumph over your desire to wear the second sock, etc.

I hereby resolve to knit different heels and toes from now on. This is a big deal for a girl who used to cry every time she re-arranged her bedroom as a child, and isn’t very comfortable with change as an adult. It was a moment of grim determination when I told myself that I’d try a toe-up sock. Or a sewn bind-off. Imagine the possibilities! Imagine the danger! What if I don’t like it? Gasp. Horror!

We've been getting frequent thunderstorms for the past few days, so the light has been awful for photographing lace. I broke down and took the above photo because I wasn't going to let the weather stop me from showing off my latest FO.

This was the scene yesterday afternoon around 3:00:



I usually don't mind thunderstorms -- in fact, I'd say I love them. But thunderstorms in Ohio are an entirely different animal from those on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (where I grew up). Tornadoes happen here! You know, those large, destructive things that spring up in the blink of an eye and can kill you? Yeah, we get those. It makes me nervous enough to not enjoy the thunderstorms as much as I used to.

This is what it looks like outside of my living room right now:



I'll be in the basement with the cat if anyone needs me.

Comments on "Hockey socks"

 

Blogger LisaBe said ... (5:58 PM) : 

how funny. my dogs are terrified of thunder; i cancelled my haircut appointment yesterday afternoon to get home before the worst storms were to hit. this morning i cancelled a pedicure because the storms are so bad. the larger of my two dogs literally climbed into my lap (yeah, that's making it easy to get my work done) a little while ago because he's so freaked out. the other one is cowering in the bathroom.
western pennsylvania storms are just no fun for labs, apparently :-} but i used to be stormphobic, too, so i understand. :) hang in there!

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (6:02 PM) : 

Ooh, ominous sky. I lived in IN for 6 years and TX for 7, and never saw a tornado in either (hurricane-prone) place. Here's wishing you the same luck!

 

Blogger Jenna said ... (7:12 PM) : 

Don't be afraid of new heels and toes! There are a ton of cool variations. Do you have any of the Nancy Bush books? I think Knitting Vintage Socks and Folk Socks have the most information on different heels/toes. After a while you'll figure out what feels best on your feet, and you can substitute it into any pattern.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (10:38 AM) : 

The storms have blown over (tornado-less) and today we just have rain.

And I'm looking forward to the socks, jenna! I'm thinking of making jaywalkers (I'm feeling so left out) from some not-quite-so-hideous knitpicks yarn I have somewhere.

 

Blogger Lone Knitter said ... (1:05 PM) : 

Well, I think your socks look great! Maybe a little wash will take care of the ankles? Have a great July and I'll stop by when I get back from vacation.

 

Blogger Hannah said ... (4:23 PM) : 

We're drowning here, too! Make sure to send the Ark if it stops by there first....

 

post a comment