Keep your books warm and your ears warmer
| I finished "Kim's hat" from Last Minute Knitted Gifts last week, but I haven't had time to a) blog or b) take pictures of it. And the weather has been miserable and overcast lately -- or rather, it's sunny when I'm busy and overcast when I have a free moment and reach for the camera. Anyway, hat: ![]() I've been wanting a hat with ear flaps for a while and I'm very pleased with the way they turned out They looked huge as I was knitting them, but apparently I just have no realistic concept of exactly how big my ears are. (They're massive.) The only alteration I made to the pattern was in the depth/height of the hat. While my ears are large, my head is disproportionately small. I knit the hat according to the pattern (7 inches before the decreases) and I had a good two inches of empty space between the crown and my head, so I frogged back until I had about 5 inches of hat and re-knit the decreases. Perfect!And, of course, it's perfect for keeping my beloved and much be-scribbled-in Norton Shakespeare warm. A warm book is a happy book, after all. (Especially when it needs some lovin' after being chewed on by a cat with distinct tastes in drama.) ![]() But really, I just like playing with the tassels. ![]() |





Comments on "Keep your books warm and your ears warmer"
-
Anonymous said ... (8:05 PM) :
-
Sarah said ... (8:42 PM) :
-
knittingphilistine said ... (8:16 AM) :
-
Lolly said ... (8:19 AM) :
-
Ashley said ... (10:06 AM) :
-
Anonymous said ... (7:40 AM) :
-
Hannah said ... (2:14 PM) :
post a commentso totally cute. i need one too.
According to the book, they're a 2-4 hour project. But I took about 5 because I'm a slow knitter. You could totally whip one out in a weekend.
That book is one reason I was never an English major, despite my love for literature (the other is that I am such a SLOW writer...I can somehow get away with that in archaeology). Your hat looks so warm and snuggly...and such a quick knit!
Also, I love your new snowy banner!
PS: The awesome bluish-grey Cascade yarn I am using is 9450. What are you planning to make with it?
I have looked at that pattern, and the variations, several times. I love the way yours turned out!
Adorable. And I don't have a super-tiny head, but I also had to shorten my Kim's Hat quite a bit (and also, 24-hour project? Ha!). I think either all hat pattern writers have enormous heads, or other people just like to wear their hats a lot looser than I do.
that is a very snug looking tome
Adorable! I think I've got to put that on my knit list!