Mystery Sweater

Pomatomus socks (on hold)

Clapotis

Hourglass sweater

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

The Fall, a compliation TB made for me

The Replacements, All Shook Down

Fiber Arts Blogger
Previous | Next

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Hi, my name is Specs.

And this is the first time I've done this. I mean, I've thought about it before, but it always seemed like something other people did. Something that other people talked about while I silently felt smug. "That'll never be me," I'd think with a smile. "I don't need those things to have a good time. I can get by on my own." I always had an excuse: too expensive, not enough time, enough free stuff on the internet, etc.

But, my friends, today I bought the Fall 2006 Interweave Knits. And I fell in love.


Her name is Coral Crossing and she's designed by Jennifer L. Appleby. She has cables! And a wide scooped neck! And little pockets! Whee! Of course, I'm going to make it in a more sensible color like grey, but that won't diminish the cuteness of this sweater at all. After I plow through my Christmas knitting, Coral Crossing is definitely on the needles. (Although, if I knit everything I've said is "definitely on the needles," I'll be busy through the summer. Damn you, Eunny.)

Oh, and I also bought some yarn for Sock Wars, which kicks off on September 22nd. I got IK and the yarn at the other yarn store in town, and I had a much better experience there than at the first place I visited. I wasn't pressured into buying anything -- in fact, the owner sold me on some of the cheap(er) sock yarn and answered some ridiculous questions I had about patterned/fair isle sock yarn. And to top it off, this place has adorable bags:



This has been a fantastic weekend. I visited with TB, went on a lovely hike along the Tennessee River, bought yarn, and found a pattern I love in a great new store. To top things off, my dad and my sister are coming to visit me on Thursday! While this is wonderful for me (I'm solitary by nature but get lonely very easily), it's bad for my schedule and means that I'll be reading every free minute between now and Thursday night. So no knitting for a while, but I'll be thinking about socks and cabled sweaters.

Progress on the Jamesey with the next update.

Comments on "Hi, my name is Specs."

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (9:11 AM) : 

That is about the best yarn store bag I've seen. I am such a horrible sucker for packaging that I would shop there all the time.

 

Blogger Kate A. said ... (3:59 PM) : 

Tee hee. I know what you mean about that sweater...it's gorgeous, and much as I love any color in the red family, I do think it would be amazing in a nice classic grey. Can't wait to see you do it...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:15 PM) : 

I'm sending down some "stuff" for you. Knitterly odds and ends. Mostly odd...

-yer mum

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (8:45 PM) : 

Ashley: exactly! I love the bag and will be going back for more.

Kate: Thanks for the confidence :) It probably won't get done, but it's nice to dream

Mum: Thanks!

 

Blogger Lone Knitter said ... (9:05 AM) : 

Yesterday, on my way home from my walk through the park, there was a table full of free stuff--and you know what was on it??? Vintage knitting mags from the 60s and 70s. I too saw a sweater I feel in love with. I have never knitted a sweater before, so we'll see how it goes!

 

post a comment