Mystery Sweater

Pomatomus socks (on hold)

Clapotis

Hourglass sweater

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

The Fall, a compliation TB made for me

The Replacements, All Shook Down

Fiber Arts Blogger
Previous | Next

Saturday, June 17, 2006

The facts.

I've seen some other bloggers write up those "100 Interesting Things About Me" lists, and I'm always surprised and a bit jealous that they actually get to #100. I've been working on my own list off and on for a month now, and I could only get to #56. So, because I've got no knitting news to post today, here it is:

56 Interesting Things About Me (with pictures!)
1. I'm a vegetarian.
2. I like to think I'’m organized, but I'm really not. I'’m forever making lists and promptly losing them.
3. The ball of my foot is very wide, but my heel is extremely narrow. This means I don't buy shoes very often.
4. I'’ve been to Japan a few times (Kobe, Osaka, Nishinomiya, Kyoto -- that area). Nice place, but I wouldn'’t want to live there.


5. My favorite color is blue.
6. I can read Old Icelandic.
7. When we were little, my sister and I used to wish that we were twins.


8. I'm the only member of my immediate family without any tattoos. This one is my brother's, who is the most recent convert to the ink.


9. I hate doing dishes.
10. I was raised Catholic, but have since strayed from the flock.
11. I love Indian food.
12. I don't like babies and children; although I have met a few individuals that I make exceptions for.
13. My wardrobe is 95% blue and black.
14. My favorite bands right now are The Dead Milkmen, Polysics, The Misfits, and Wire.
15. I have knobby knees.
16. I love science fiction: movies, fiction, television, etc. I've got a small pile of sci-fi paperbacks that I plan to read in my "“free time".
17. I'm forever saying sarcastic things that are not taken as sarcastic by whomever I'm talking to.
18. I met The Boyfriend in a Wildlife Conservation course at college.
19. I never wear shorts. See #15.
20. I am terrified of centipedes. I hope they don'’t run rampant in Tennessee.
21. I procrastinate.
22. I don't wear high heels often because The Boyfriend and I are the same height (short).
23. After years of resisting, I've finally admitted that I'm a morning person. I know, I hate me, too.
24. I define morning as after 8:00. I'’m not completely insane.
25. I was in an abusive relationship for two years while in high school.
26. I have a social anxiety disorder and depression.
27. I think #25 and #26 are related.
28. I keep trying orange juice, hoping that someday I'll like it. I still hate it.
29. I wanted to be a professional ballet dancer for most of my life.
30. I a’m a natural blonde.
31. I have read all of Moby Dick. I'’d advise against it.
32. I hate the following fashion items: Uggs, ponchos, capri pants, and boys in pants three sizes too big.
33. I love the following fashion items: boot cut jeans, mary janes, glasses, cardigans, and skinny hipster boys in pants three sizes too small.
34. I'’m horrible with names. This is not a good trait in a scholar/researcher who should always know whose work she'’s reading.
35. I cannot make an omelet without overcooking or burning it.
36. I have high blood pressure and my doctor has no idea why.
37. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a marine biologist.
38. My first and only hospital visit happened when I was 2 years old; I ran smack into a low shelf in my (parents'’) LYS. Incidentally, it was called the Darn Yarn Shop, and I've yet to hear a yarn shop name that I like more.
39. I'm scared of horses.
40. I'm politically and socially liberal.
41. But grew up in a conservative Southern-ish small town.
42. I played the flute and piccolo in high school band. I still play from time to time, but I'm always frustrated by how awful I am now compared to how good I used to be.
43. I'm starting a PhD degree in August, studying Anglo-Saxon/Old English literature.
44. I used to enjoy building "“robots" by taking apart old electronics and gluing/taping the circuitry into cardboard boxes with robots drawn on them. This was when I was 8 or 9, not last week (although it still sounds like fun).
45. In 3rd grade, I was obsessed with the paranormal and monsters (Bigfoot, Nessie, Jersey Devil, that sort of thing). I started a Monster Hunters Club with my friends.
46. My feet? Always cold.
47. I don't get people who "“forget" to eat or sleep. My body shuts down if I don't do both of these things.
48. I hate writing papers for classes. There. I said it. I hate jumping through the right hoops and pretending to be interested in a topic just to get a grade on an artificially truncated piece of research.
49. I'm a bitter old cow.


50. I have an intense anxiety toward talking on the phone. I'd do all my communicating through email and IM if I could.
51. I buy 90% of my clothes from thrift stores. The last time I bought new clothes was at Christmas, when I had exchanges to make and gift certificates to use.
52. I'’m really very boring.
53. I'm afraid of the ocean.

(Rehoboth Beach, Delaware in January)

54. I drive a minivan named Bessie.
55. I was really scrawny as a kid. My best friend nicknamed me Shrimpy.
56. I love tea.

Comments on "The facts."

 

Blogger Nadia said ... (3:07 AM) : 

I love reading these and should really make one too!

You sound a lot like me. Well, not everything, but quite a bit.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:23 PM) : 

I have fifteen and a half of those things in common with you.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (5:18 PM) : 

I'm curious to see who else is scared of horses. I was the only one of my friends who didn't want riding lessons as a kid.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

Oh yay, I have no.50 too!

 

Blogger alphabitch said ... (9:21 AM) : 

How very strange. I've seen a few people list all 100 interesting things about them and I didn't have nearly so many items in common. I hardly ever meet anyone who can read Old Icelandic.

Plus I also knit, which you didn't list, but it's interesting enough, I should think, to include.

[In case you care even remotely, I could also list items 2, 6, 7 (only it was my cousin, not my sister), 9, 11, 12, 21, 28 (except it's tomato juice -- keep trying, though. I finally like it, in bloody marys.), 31, 32, 33 (except for jeans -- I don't like any jeans at all), 34, 40, 42, 45, 49, 50, 52, 53, and 54 (except my minivan died a year ago and her name was Pirate Jenny). Oh, and re #47: I am one of those people, and I don't understand that either.]

I just this morning found your site via MissPrism, whose blog I've only been reading since like last week sometime.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (2:14 PM) : 

Good god, someone else was interested in the paranoramal as a child? I thought I was the only crazy who did that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM) : 

No dancer picks this career for the money. It is the inablity to seperate ourselves from dance that causes us to pursue this career. Dancers enjoy (and become addicted to) performing/moving in the here and now.

As for performing, you never gained so much weight that you had never had a shot. You have always had a beautiful body that creates the needed lovely lines. Any thinner, and we would have had a hard time seeing you sideways.

Besides, many dancers who "make-it" performing started at age 11 or older. Michelle Wiles for example (ABT).

Don't ever sell yourself short.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (2:23 AM) : 

Hi Anon --

I try not to sell myself short, but I also try not to think about the choice I made to give up dancing. It's easier for me if I blame it on puberty, my weight, height, bad hip, etc.

But I still miss it every day.

 

Blogger knittingphilistine said ... (7:09 PM) : 

Frightening similarities. See numbers 1, 2, 12, 13, 17, 19, 21, 32, 33, 34, 35, 40, 41 (but not small and *very* Southern), 43 (but in Near Eastern Archaeology), 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 52, and 56. And the numbers listed above are dead on accurate, not just "passably" like me. I rarely meet people who I think are very much like me, so I for one am surprised by these findings.

 

post a comment