The History of a Young Sock
| Dearest Pomatomus, How sorry I am that I do not have the pleasure of your company daily! My duties at the time require my complete devotion and force my attention elsewhere. Namely, to that book which is the source of all my woe and your neglect: ![]() Mr. Richardson -- whose relationship with me is no choice of mine, I assure you! -- absorbs all of my thoughts during every waking hour. He has buried me in unwanted correspondences and I find myself overcome not with due reverence, but with resentment and a true weariness of spirit. I see no way out of this detestable situation until two days hence, when my weekly duties are finished and a few hours' leisure are open to me. ![]() Will your forgive me, my dear, for my absence from your company? Your ever-affectionate friend and servant, Specs |













Comments on "The History of a Young Sock"
-
knittingphilistine said ... (8:19 AM) :
-
Kate A. said ... (4:36 PM) :
-
Sarah said ... (2:43 AM) :
-
Lone Knitter said ... (4:31 PM) :
-
Sarah said ... (8:14 PM) :
post a commentOh, I know the feeling... and am living it! The horror of not being able to finish even my *first* pomatomus! Damn, that learning. Beautiful pomatomus, btw!
Tee hee. I am SO with you here, as you know! I even tried to read Clarissa...and failed miserably. I wanted to read it because it's one of the few novels mentioned by name in the diaries of the woman I'm writing about, and I thought it'd be so nice to read a novel and call it "work" ...but no.
(see the lengths I'll go to to avoid the reading I know I really need to do, even if that reading is actually more fun?)
I did get through Fanny Burney's Evelina - and actually really liked it. Her work has some problems, but if you ask me it's calling out to be adapted into films. There are so many incredibly well-paced, great comic scenes, easily worthy of Jane Austen and in some ways wilder and even more fun. And the parts that are...less worthy of being in the same sentence with Jane Austen...could be easily skipped or made simpler in a film version. Are any producers out there listening??
I love Jane Austen, and have a hard time reconciling her and Richardson to the same century. What a difference 50 years makes!
It's 2:30 and I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the material I need for my presentation tomorrow. I think this may be the first book I've actively hated. And possibly the first book in which I've disliked all of the characters.
Richardson. I remember that guy. I believe it was junior year in 18th century British novel class. You're making great progress on your sock and book it seems. I need to hit the books too. A chapter of dissertation is due in December, and I'm afraid that I've spent too much time knitting!
LK, I can't wait until I'm just writing. I went for the PhD so I could stop reading things like this and just get on with my work. The continual breadth requirements are incredibly frustrating.
(P.S. Presentation went well. I might even say, if I were one of those people who did so, that I kicked its whiney, Enlightenment ass.)