Mystery Sweater

Pomatomus socks (on hold)

Clapotis

Hourglass sweater

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

The Fall, a compliation TB made for me

The Replacements, All Shook Down

Fiber Arts Blogger
Previous | Next

Saturday, September 30, 2006

time traveling

It's Saturday? Really?

This has been a hectic week, so I apologize for not posting sooner and for not keeping up the bad fantasy story style in this post. I'm just too tired to draft and revise something funny (which I think it actually could be if I had the inspiration and the time). Sorry, fantasy fans.



I mailed off the socks on Monday and by Thursday (or was it Wednesday?) my target was sleeping with the fishes. Finito. Had bought the farm. Kicked the bucket. Was singing with the choir invisible. Had shuffled off this mortal coil. Had bitten the dust. You get the picture. I'm currently waiting for my target's target to send me her socks-in-progress so I can get started and post them to her target. Her target lives in the UK, so I think there's a very real chance that I'll get whacked before she gets the socks. Hey Oxknit, take your time.

Incidentally, this is the first swap I've ever done, and I am surprised by how nervous knitting for other knitters makes me. What if I weave my ends in wrong? What if I do the kitchner stitch backwards? What if I relaxed for a few rows and my tension went all funky? What if someone is RIGHT NOW laughing at my socks? I think I need to lie down and regroup before starting the next pair, so it's probably best I don't have them for a few days.

But in the meantime, I'm working on a scarf for myself using the same yarn I used for my mom's Clapotis. (Which I took a horrible photo of. I'm so sorry, Cherry Tree Hill dyers -- your yarn deserves better than that.)



This is the best photo I got of the yarn, which refuses to be photographed and retain all of its colors. Am I missing something? I've got the shutter speed up as fast as it can go (if I make it slower, I get photos like this) and I've got the light setting on "incandescent." Just trust me when I say this yarn is beautiful and not at all aqua or bruise-colored.

Today I unpacked a bit more. I've been here for over a month and I'm still not completely unpacked yet. This afternoon I hung some things on the walls and put up curtains, which makes a huge difference in how the apartment feels. It's starting to feel like someone lives here instead of feeling like someone is momentarily pausing here on the way to somewhere else.

Comments on "time traveling"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 AM) : 

*Wretched deathly breathing sounds*

They killed me! With glorious warm fuzziness I have fallen. Thanks for the wonderous socks!

Check my newest blog for the weapon of choice modelled by my very own feet.

 

Blogger Oxford Voter said ... (7:49 AM) : 

Don't worry too much about the Oxknit Socks of Doom yet. I only managed to get 3.25mm DPNs yesterday and haven't cast on yet for Take #2 on Sock #1. Once I've cleared the rest of today's to-do list, I'll be on my way, though.

 

Blogger Lone Knitter said ... (7:52 PM) : 

Knitting for other knitters would be stressful for me too. At least my boyfriend and other people I've knitted for don't know anything about knitting. I would go slightly insane. I've been in my apartment for almost three years now and am still not completely unpacked. Seems as if I'm almost always apartment hunting.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (7:35 PM) : 

Lunarawe, I tried to comment on your blog but got a message saying I had to be logged in? Anyway -- glad you liked the socks!

LK (can I call you LK?), I'm starting to understand that being in academia means never feeling at home and always understanding that the job could take you to the other side of the country. Maybe not the best career for someone like me who hates change.

 

Blogger Hannah said ... (1:34 PM) : 

Congrats on staying alive in the sock wars. Very cute socks!

 

Blogger Lone Knitter said ... (11:25 AM) : 

Hey, there. I love it that you call me LK. LK on! Academia is a strange life, especially if your partner is also in academia--the future is always, it seems, uncertain. But I guess that's the payoff for those long summer breaks.

 

post a comment