Two posts in two days.
| 48 Things You Could Care Less About 1. FIRST NAME? Sarah 2. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? No. 3. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY? It's been a while; a few weeks at least. 4. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? Yes. It used to be very round and girly, but it's gotten spikier with time. I like the spikes. 5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCHMEAT? I've been vegetarian for four years now, but every now and then I get a wicked craving for a turkey sub or a cheesesteak. 6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? I think I come across as awkward and distant, but I tend to like open and obviously friendly people, so probably not. I'd think I was weird. 7. DO YOU HAVE A JOURNAL? I used to, when I was in high school (and oh, what dramatic reading those make), but now all I have is the blog. 8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yes. 9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? No, but I reserve the right to retract that statement at any time. 10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? Corn Pops and Lucky Charms. Also: Grape Nuts. 11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? Yes, otherwise Otto would be distracted for 10 fewer seconds than usual. 12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? The past few year have shown me that I am, or can be, mentally strong. But it still took me a good 5 minutes to open a jar of tomato sauce tonight. 13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? I'm with Kate A. on this one -- mint chocolate chip all the way, baby. 14. SHOE SIZE? 8. 15. RED OR PINK? Red. Deep, brick and burgundy reds are one of the few intrusions of color into my usually black and grey wardrobe. 16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? I'm a pessimist, which I've only realized in the last year or so might be a negative personality trait (I still think I'm just being realistic). I'm making a conscious effort to be more optimistic. It's hard. 17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? My mom. She doesn't travel, so I only see her at Thanksgiving and Christmas. 18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? Maybe if we were in ye olden dayes of the internets and this was via email. But yes, I'd like other people to fill it out. 19. WHAT COLOR PANTS, SHIRT AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? Jeans, blue shirt, and no shoes. I usually wear socks at night, but I wore my cute new shoes today and they left cute new blisters and wounds on my feet. I still love the shoes, I'm just glad that years of dancing in pointe shoes have inured me. ![]() 20. LAST THING YOU ATE? Chocolate chip cookies. I baked when I got home from New Jersey; it's one of the ways I relax. 21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? Otto munching on his food and Bjork's "It's Oh So Quiet." 22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Black. So practical. Everyone loves the black crayon. 23. FAVORITE SMELL? Basements. Clean ones, but ones with that laundry-damp-earthy smell. Also: old books. 24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? My brother. 25. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE YOU ARE ATTRACTED TO? Hair, figure (I have a thing for skinny guys in glasses), hands, and eyes. 26. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON you stole THIS from? Kate A! Yes! 27. FAVORITE DRINK? Tea, any kind except chai. I chai'ed myself out two winters ago and haven't been back. 28. FAVORITE SPORT? Hockey hockey hockey. Let's go Flyers! 29. EYE COLOR? Blue. 30. HAT SIZE? Small. 31. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? I used to, but I've gotten attached to the hiding-behind-things feeling of wearing glasses. I like that they give me an extra layer between myself and the world. And I think they make me look smart. 32. FAVORITE FOOD? Indian food. Give me some kofta or paneer and I'm happy girl. 33. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? Both. Old monster movies are fantastic, but a well done happy ending is nice, too. 35. SUMMER OR WINTER? Winter. I hate showing up places sweaty and disheveled. 36. HUGS OR KISSES? Hugs. My family isn't huggy, but when I left Columbus I was hugged by friends on a daily basis and I realized that I like this hugging thing. 37. FAVORITE DESSERT? Just one? Here are a few: rice pudding, ice cream, pumpkin pie, and blueberry cobbler. 38. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? No idea. Does anyone even read my blog anymore? (The comments have all but stopped! I'm going to assume that everyone's really busy and not that my blog has started to smell.) 39. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? N/A 40. WHAT BOOKS ARE YOU READING? See the sidebar. I'm reading other things, too, but those are the ones I could think of when I was posting yesterday. 41. WHAT'S ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? Don't have one. 42. WHAT DID YOU WATCH LAST NIGHT ON TV? I didn't watch tv last night. 43. FAVORITE SOUNDS? TB breathing in his sleep, rain on the roof, and my parents talking downstairs while I'm in bed (although I haven't heard that one in years). 44. ROLLING STONE OR BEATLES? Rolling Stones (that's plural, meme writer). 45. THE FURTHEST YOU'VE BEEN FROM HOME? Kobe, Japan. 46. WHAT'S YOUR SPECIAL TALENT? I can do lots of things reasonably well. But no special talent that I can think of. 47. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Washington, D.C. 48. WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? I lifted it from Kate A. And finally, a sock begins! Can you guess what it is yet? It's something I've wanted to make for a long time. ![]() In the background you can see my favorite beer: Flying Dog Tire Bite. |













Comments on "Two posts in two days."
-
Ashley said ... (10:58 PM) :
-
Partly Cloudy Knitter said ... (8:34 AM) :
-
Kate A. said ... (12:44 PM) :
-
Sarah said ... (5:23 PM) :
-
Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) :
-
Kitty Jimjams said ... (5:44 PM) :
-
Sarah said ... (5:56 PM) :
-
Lone Knitter said ... (6:22 PM) :
-
Ashley said ... (5:25 PM) :
post a commentI can't spot the sock pattern yet--but with those twisted stitches, maybe Pomatomus?--but I will say that I got dorkily excited because I thought you had found some kind of cool blue transparent knitting needle--but then it was a pen. Sigh.
I'm sorry I don't always take the time to comment when I read your blog.
Do you have any idea where this meme started? It is popping up all over and I'm being tempted to fill it out. I usually resist these things.
We'll see.
I knew we shared the phone thing! It's in your "100 Things" list. You have no idea how many stupid problems I am *right now* allowing to become big problems because I can't bring myself to pick up the phone. I'm totally on top of everything I can do my email, though. But then, maybe you're the one person who does have an idea!
One of the worst things I've ever had to do: Phone interview IN RUSSIAN. It actually went well. That's why my fear is totally irrational. Actually, it's both fear and disgust. I hate everything about phones. The only people I enjoy talking to on a phone are people who I adore enough to put up with the phone business, though I'd much prefer to have them in person. I hate being bothered by phone, I hate not being able to hear half the time (bad hearing is definitely part of it), I hate not being able to see expressions or read body language. Talking on the phone, to me, is like trying to run a marathon underwater. Plus, I communicate much more effectively in writing than speech, so I usually prefer written communication even to meeting in person, in any case besides friends and family.
I thought for sure I had commented on the phone thing in your 100 Things list, listing the dozen or so items that could just as easily have been on my list, but I looked and no comment got through. Must be one of those instances where, having thought to do something, I filed it away in my head as "done," without ever following through. That happens to me a lot. Anyway.
In this case, I'm so with you on #6, and 23, and 31, and 38. My comments have been disappearing too...it seems to be a fall malaise or something. Maybe it's because we're all sick with fall illnesses. I know I've been reading blogs even more than usual, but commenting less because my brain feels stuck in low gear.
Beauteous socks, whatever they are.
Kate, that's why blogging is so great :)
I dread the phone interview (in English -- I can't believe you did one in Russian). I nearly had to do one for a phd program, but decided at the last minute that I didn't want to go to that university anyway. I think my decision my have been made partly because I didn't want to do the phone thing.
I hope that when the job search rolls around I can knock everyone's socks off at MLA and never have to go through the awkward phone conversations that I keep hearing about. Or maybe by the time I'm done everything will be conducted via email (here's hoping).
I've started wearing my spacehopper hat again now autumn's rolling around. That's not got anything to do with this post, but it really is great. Thanks!
I stole your meme. And I laughed like a drain at your spider story. :D
Cheers, Thom!
And Kitten, there's another story! It's even creeeeeeepier.
I also love the sound of rain on a roof. Too bad these Brooklyn brownstones don't let much rain sound in unless I'm right under a sky light. Is the sock a jaywalker? No, you've already done that! Silly me.
I had to have some phone interviews with schools who either couldn't get it together to get anyone to MLA, and also schools who were pre-screening for MLA. It was a completely bizarre and unsettling experience, but the flip side, and I think this made up for any emotional discomfort, was that I got to do them in my bed in my pjs. Interviewing in your PJs rocks.